31 January, 2007

Second version of the "A" track


Just now, I finished the second version of the "A" track. I had quite a hard time to make something listenable out of it. As long as I didn't have a predetermined chord progression to improvise on, the nyckelharpa just sounded confusing. So, I decided on fixed chord structure of four bars, looping. I added a drum track to make the flow consistent and a very basic piano-accompaniment to support me with the chords. "Ah, that's better!"

Sticking to the original idea, I cut up the nyckelharparecording and looped four selected bars, improvised on the oboe over it, but something was still missing. I needed a bass.

I didn't find anything inspiring in my instrument-closet, but I suddenly remembered my recently bought trumpet. I imagined a Russian brass-sextet in -40 degrees Celsius playing at the baptism of a warship, and recorded a simple basstrack on the trumpet. Lowering the pitch 12 semitones, I got that lovely trombone-sound.

The result is here: "A", version 2.

I'll leave this idea here for now. Maybe this is the final version, maybe there's more to come.

No comments: